Howard took his degrees B.A. in 1895, and M.B., B.Ch. in 1897 at Durham University. He served with the 1st Bn. West African Frontier Force from November 1897 to March 1899, being Senior Medical Officer in the Lahai Expedition, June 1898. For his service he received the West Africa medal & 2 clasps. On 27th July 1899, he joined the Medical Services at the rank of Lieutenant, then saw active service in the South African War 1899-1902. He was present at the genera actions of Magersfontein, Paardeberg, Poplar Grove and Dreifontein, and operations in the Transvaal. He was Mentioned in Despatches [LG 27/9/1901]; received the Queen’s South Africa Medal with 4 clasps, King’s South Africa Medal with 2 clasps, and was created a Companion of the Distinguished Service Order [LF 27/12/1901] “In recognition of services during the operations in South Africa”. The Insignia, Warrant and Statues were sent to the Commander-in-Chief in India, and was presented by the G.O.C., Bombay, at Poona on 10th August 1902. He was promoted to Captain on 27th July 1902, and was seconded to the Egyptian Army from 2nd May 1902 to 1st May 1912. He saw active service again in South-Eastern Soudan 1912, in operations against the Beir and Anuak tribes, receiving the Soudan Medal with clasps, and the Imperial Ottoman Order of the Medjidich, 3rd class on 29th October 1912. During this time the had been promoted to Major, on 28th January 1911, and was restored to the establishment in 1912. After War had been declared on 4th August 1914, Howard embarked for France on the 9th, with the headquarters of divisional formations, as Deputy Assistant Director for Medical services for the 4th Division.
The Fourth Division first arrived on the front lines at Le Cateau, however no field ambulances were present, and the only medical support available were those with the regimental units and the medical staff of the division - which consisted of Col C E Faunce and Howard, along with R.A.M.C. clerical staff. Howard waited at Braistre on 25th August listening to the sound of guns drawing closer from the direction of Valenciennes. By 6 a.m. on the 26th, the enemy attacked the bivouacs of the division at Haucourt and wounded were taken to a farm-house at divisional headquarters where their wounds were dressed. Orders were received to retire and those fit to travel were placed on the wagons of divisional headquarters and taken to Selvigny. Col Faunce went with them to Selvigny to collect more transport, obtaining fourteen farm carts. In the meantime, Howard formed a dressing station at the cross-roads about three kilometers south of Hancourt, and collected the R.A.M.C. clerical staff of the division to assist. About 7 a.m. his dressing station came under fire so they were forced to withdrew to the north of Selvigny, where many wounded were dressed and evacuated. About 8 a.m. they were forced to move again to the south end under shelter of houses. Around 10.30 a.m. the Cavalry Division Supply Column happened to pass through Selvigny. Howard stopped it and placed forty casualties onto six lorries, and gave the order for one of his clerical orderlies to travel with them. After an hour of relative peace, severe fighting broke out again and Howard moved the dressing station to a school at the north end of the village, in an attempt to shorten the distance for the wounded to be carried back. By 3.30 p.m. Selvigny was heavily attacked but Howard continued to attend to the wounded, up until nearly 6 p.m. when he loaded one available cart with the wounded who were fit to travel, and took then to Le Catelet, where they were transported to a French Red Cross hospital. He rejoined his divisional headquarters at 5 a.m. on the 27th August. The division reached Muirancourt on the night of 28th August, and all sick and wounded who had travelled with them were transferred to motor lorries and sent onto Noyon. Howard accompanied them and transferred them to the civil hospital there. For his services here, Howard was mentioned in Sir John French’s despatches.
On 18th February 1915, Howard was promoted to Brevet Lieutenant Colonel and then Lieutenant Colonel on the 1st March 1915. On 3rd June 1915 he became Brevet Colonel and then temporary Colonel on the 11th August 1916 - a rank he served under until 24th July 1919.
In 1916, he became Assistant Director of Medical Services for the Third Division, stationed at Headquarters. For his services he was made a Companion of the Order of St Michael & St George on 1st January 1918. From 1918 until 1919 he served as Commanding Officer at an RAMC School for Instruction and Base Depot. Then in 1919, became Assistant Director of Medical Services at Headquarters, Antwerp. Howard then went to Egypt, where he serves as Assistant Director of Medical Services HQ 4th Cavalry Division from 1919 to 1920; at HQ 3rd Lahore Division from 1920 to 1921; as Assistant Director of Medical Services - Egypt 1921 and 1922; and finally Senior Medical Officer and Commanding Officer of the Officers Hospital, Abbassia from 1922 to 1924. During this time, on 1st January 1923, he became a Companion of the Order of Bath. In 1924, he served as the Officer Commanding the Surgical Division of the Royal Herbert Hospital, Woolwich, becoming the Commanding Officer from 1924 to 1925. On 2nd May 1925 he was promoted to the rank of Colonel, and went onto became Deputy Director of Medical Services at Headquarters, Western Command until 1927. From there he went to
Shanghai, becoming Deputy Director of Medical Services in China. Then from 1928 to 1929 he served as Assistant Director of Medical Services at Headquarters, East Anglian Area. On 4th June 1928 he was awarded the C.B.E., and received promotion to Major General on 26th March 1929. He served as Deputy Director of Medical Services at Headquarters, Eastern Command from 1929 to 1933, during which time he became King’s Honorary Surgeon on 14th April 1930. On 2the March 1933 he retired with pay, and ceased to be on the Roll of Officers on 20th March 1941. Howard died at Sevenoaks, Kent. He was the son of Edward Ensor, M.A.; and the husband of Gladys Marian, the youngest daughter of Col Maurice Tweedle, Indian Army - married in 1912, the had one son and a daughter.