George was educated at King’s College and at St Bartholomew's Hospital - entering in 1882, he obtained the diplomas of M.R.C.S., L.R.C.P., and L.S.A. in 1886. He then graduated M.D.[Durh.] in 1902, and later obtained the D.P.H., R.C.P.S. and D.P.H.[Cantab] in 1905. He then served as an intern midwifery assistant and in other posts at St Bartholomew's Hospital, and went into practice at Thame and Surbiton. Whilst at Surbiton he became honorary surgeon to the Home for Cripples. George was also a Fellow of the Royal Institute of Public Health, a member of the British Medical Association, an Honorary Life Member of the St John Ambulance Association, and Surveyor of the Medical Department at the Admiralty, and was author of “Successful Reposition of a Completely Severed Finger.” In 1889, whilst at Thame, George joined the Oxfordshire Light Infantry as a surgeon, at the rank of Surgeon-Lieutenant, and retired 10 years later as Captain. Then in 1908, when the Territorial Force was organised, he joined the R.A.M.C. - 3rd Home Counties Field Ambulance, with his former rank. He was soon promoted to Major, then in 1911 became Lieutenant-Colonel, and on the outbreak of war in August 1914, he volunteered for foreign service and went with a detachment to France, arriving on the 21st December 1914. Whilst in France he contracted pleurisy but continued to fulfill his duties until the condition of his health became so serious that he was invalided home in April 1915. He died at his residence at Surbiton. George was the youngest son of the late James Edsell, of Beulah Hill, Norwood [a direct descendent of Capt James Cook, R.N., the discoverer of Australia] and Phoebe Caroline; and was the husband of Annie Isabel Edsell of 3 Palace Place, Brighton - married at Byfleet on 14th July 1887. They had six children.