George was educated at Loretto and Hertford College, Oxford. He entered St. Bartholomew's Hospital as a student in 1903, and obtained the diplomas of M.R.C.S., L.R.C.P. in 1906, and qualified M.B., B.Ch in 1908. He had also graduated B.A., with honours in natural science in 1902. He served as a house-surgeon to Dr Howard Tooth at St. Bartholomew's Hospital and as house-surgeon to the West London Hospital, and later went into practice in Bath, where he became the pathologist to the Mineral Water and Royal United Hospitals. He was also medical officer of Monckton Combe School, and District Director of the Clutton Division of the Red Cross Society. During the South African War he served as a combatant in the Yeomanry and held the Queens Medal with two clasps. In 1915, having volunteered for active service, George joined the R.A.M.C. with the rank of Captain and served as a pathologist in France. He was killed by a bomb from a German aeroplane on 9 August 1918 at Caix, while attached to the 3rd Cavalry Field Ambulance. George was the eldest, and only serving son of the late Dr Hely Hutchinson Almond, headmaster of Loretto School and Mrs E F Almond; and was the husband of Violet W A Almond of 15 Pepys Road, Wimbledon, London.