Andrew came from Magherafelt. He took the diploma of L.A.H.Dubl. only earlier in 1915 and received his commission in the July. He was the the fourth son of Dr and Mrs A Hegarty of Magherafclt, Co. Derry; and the husband of May Barry Hegarty of 6 Melville Street, Portobello, Edinburgh. Two of his brothers were also on active service - one in the R.A.M.C. and the other in motor transport.