RAMC - Royal Army Medical Corps
  Home » Sanitary Sections » No 1 Sanitary Section »
Search RAMC Personnel Profiles The RAMC in WarThe RAMC Chain of Evacuation Contact Us
RAMC Units
 Army Medical Services 
 Home Service 
 Ambulance Trains 
 Casualty Clearing Stations 
 Field Ambulances 
 Non RAMC personnel attached to British Medical Units 
 RAMC Personnel attached to Colonial/Associated Medical Units
 Regimental Medical Establishments 
 Sanitary Sections 
 1st London (City of London) Sanitary Company 
 2nd London (City of London) Sanitary Company 
  noktaNo 1 Sanitary Section
  noktaNo 2 Sanitary Section
  noktaSanitary Squads
 Territorial Force Association Sanitary Sections 
 Ships - Hospital/Transport 
 Unit not yet known 
 X - Other medical units 
 Y - WW1 Medical Victoria Crosses
 Z - Photographs (Nothing known)
Personnel Search
Use keywords to search
by first or last name
RAMC profile of:
Arthur Lisle Ambrose WEBB [Sir] M.R.C.S., L.R.C.P.

Place or Date
of Birth:
Brixton on 19 July 1871

Service Number:

TF Number:

Rank: Bt. Col

Unit: No 1 Sanitary Section = Commanding Officer

Attached To:

Enlistment Location:

Also Served: Various - see below

Outcome: Survived the war

Date Died: 7th October 1945
Age Died:

Where Buried and/or Commemorated:

Awards: MiDx2

Gazette Reference: 19/10/1014 & 22/6/1915

Other Information:

Arthur received his medical education at University College Hospital, London, qualifying M.R.C.S., L.R.C.P. in 1895. During his medical career he became a specialist in state medicine. In 1899, when the South African War broke out, he was a district surgeon under the Basutolan Government, and immediately resigned his appointment to join the R.A.M.C., gaining a commission at the rank of Lieutenant on 27th July 1899. He saw active service up until 1902, gaining the Queen’s South African Medal & 5 clasps and the King’s South African Medal & 2 clasps. On 27th July 1902 he was promoted to the rank of Captain, and was stationed in India from 1902 to 1905. In 1907 he took the diploma in public health [D.P.H.], and in 1908 he took the diploma in tropical medicine and hygiene [D.T.M&H]. From 1910 to 1912 he was stationed in West Africa, during which time he gained further promotion to the rank of Major on 28th January 1911. On the outbreak of war, Arthur began to form No 1 Sanitary Section, becoming the Commanding Officer. He mobilized the unit on 12th August 1914, then sailed with it on 13th from Southampton to Havre, arriving the next day he entering the war in France on 14th August 1914. During the period of concentration of the troops, the conditions of the railheads, with regards to sanitation, were becoming extremely poor, and was becoming worse by the day. It therefore became obvious that an appointment needed to be created to meet this emergency before the field army began its operations against the enemy. As a consequence Arthur was instructed on the 18th August to hand over his command to the base sanitary officer at Havre and undertake new duties as a sanitary officer and D.A.D.M.S. of Railheads. Having been added to the D.M.S.’s staff, Arthur was to become responsible for the supervision of railheads and the sanitation of front areas, as well as supervising motor ambulance transport, and later the formation of motor ambulance convoys. On 1st March 1915 he was granted promotion to the rank of Lieutenant Colonel. On 23rd June 1915 he was appointed Companion Order of St Michael and St George. In June 1916 he took over from Lt Col Barrow as Deputy Assistant Director General of Medical Services at the War Office, to direct the branch dealing with hospital accommodation, sanitation, and statistics. In April 1917, he was graded as an Assistant Director General and obtained several further additions to the staff of the branch. For this service he was given the rank of Brevet Colonel on 3rd June 1918, and was appointed Companion Order of the Bath. After the war, he was seconded to Ministry of Pensions to help deal with many thousands of casualty claims for compensation, and for providing in-and-out patient treatment. He was appointed Director-General of Medical Services to carry out this task, and on 30th March 1920 was rewarded by the honour of Knight’s Commander Order of the British Empire. Arthur retired from the army with pay on 31st January 1922, and ceased to be on the roll of officers on 19th July 1926. He continued his work with the Ministry, becoming a civil servant, eventually retiring in 1933. After this he took up the post of Secretary and Treasurer to Queen Mary’s Hospital, Roehampton. He finally fully retired in 1942 to his home in Balcombe Forest. He died in Balcombe, Sussex.

Back Add Additional Info
 ©2007-2023 RAMC: Royal Army Medical Corps WW1 Developed by: Paramount Digital marketing