Pte G H Fowler was one of a quota of N.C.O.ís and men, known as 'Special Reserve', to transfer from the 1st Home Counties Field Ambulance to serve with the Expeditionary Force. On 6th August 1916, Captain Greene marched with the detachment to a field adjoining Monocktonís Mill, Sandling Road, Maidstone, which became the mobilization headquarters of No 10 Field Ambulance. He entered the war with the 10th Field Ambulance on 23rd August 1914. He transferred back to the 1st Home Counties Field Ambulance on 25th March 1916. On 28th May 1917 he transferred to serve with the Royal Flying Corps.