RAMC - Royal Army Medical Corps
  Home » X - Other medical units » Medical Stores » Base Depots of Medical Stores » 154066
Search RAMC Personnel Profiles The RAMC in WarThe RAMC Chain of Evacuation Contact Us
RAMC Units
 Army Medical Services 
 Home Service 
 Ambulance Trains 
 Casualty Clearing Stations 
 Field Ambulances 
 Non RAMC personnel attached to British Medical Units 
 RAMC Personnel attached to Colonial/Associated Medical Units
 Regimental Medical Establishments 
 Sanitary Sections 
 Ships - Hospital/Transport 
 Unit not yet known 
 X - Other medical units 
  noktaAmbulance Flotillas
  noktaBase Depots
 Divisional Ambulance Workshops 
 Medical Stores 
  noktaAdvances Depots of Medical Stores
  noktaBase Depots of Medical Stores
 Mobile Laboratories 
 Y - WW1 Medical Victoria Crosses
 Z - Photographs (Nothing known)
Personnel Search
Use keywords to search
by first or last name
RAMC profile of:
George Francis HIDES
[Service No:  154066]

Place or Date
of Birth:
Sheffield in 1874

Service Number: 154066

TF Number:

Rank: Pte


Attached To: Base Depot

Enlistment Location: Sheffield, Yorks

Also Served:

Outcome: Died

Date Died: 17/11/1919
Age Died:

Where Buried and/or Commemorated: UK - Sheffield (Burngreave) Cemetery, Yorkshire


Gazette Reference:

Other Information:

George enlisted on 24th June 1916, and was transferred to Army Reserve until the 21st June 1918, when he was mobilized and sent to serve with the R.A.M.C. He was 44 years and 9 months old; was a Gas Slinger by trade; and was living at 7 Watfield House Lane, Sheffield at the time. He was posted to the 2nd Training Battalion at Blackpool, then on 8th November 1918 he embarked at Southampton and was posted to Salonika as a reinforcement, arriving on the 25th. His service there consisted of general duties at the Base Depot. On 9th December 1918, he was admitted into No 63 General Hospital suffering with Myalgia, but returned to duty shortly after. He was re-admitted to hospital on 2nd April 1919 with symptoms of Myalgia, and this time was invalided back to the UK. He was first treated in the 4th London General Hospital, then on 24th June 1919 was admitted into the Bermondsey Military Hospital, where he remained for 51 days. He died at Wharncliffe War Hospital, Sheffield of Myelitis Tubercular, having been admitted on 14th September 1919, after 65 days of treatment. George was the husband of Louisa Hides - married in 1897.

Additional Information: Date Added: Tuesday 10 September, 2013
George's final resting place. (Photograph taken by John Mandle and kindly provided by Mike Symmonds)...
(click here to read full text)

Back Add Additional Info
 ©2007-2021 RAMC: Royal Army Medical Corps WW1 Developed by: Paramount Digital marketing