RAMC - Royal Army Medical Corps
  Home » Army Medical Services » 1. Directors-General [Ds.G., A.M.S.] »
Search RAMC Personnel Profiles The RAMC in WarThe RAMC Chain of Evacuation Contact Us
RAMC Units
 Army Medical Services 
  nokta1. Directors-General [Ds.G., A.M.S.]
  nokta2. Deputy Directors-General [D.Ds.G., A.M.S.]
  nokta3. Assistant Directors-General [A.Ds.G., A.M.S.]
  nokta4. Deputy Assistant Directors-General [D.A.Ds.G., A.M.S.]
  nokta5. Directors [Ds.M.S.]
  nokta6. Deputy Directors [D.Ds.M.S.]
  nokta7. Assistant Directors [A.Ds M.S.]
  nokta8. Deputy Assistant Directors [D.A.Ds.M.S.]
 9. Other 
 Home Service 
 Ambulance Trains 
 Casualty Clearing Stations 
 Field Ambulances 
 Non RAMC personnel attached to British Medical Units 
 RAMC Personnel attached to Colonial/Associated Medical Units
 Regimental Medical Establishments 
 Sanitary Sections 
 Ships - Hospital/Transport 
 Unit not yet known 
 X - Other medical units 
 Y - WW1 Medical Victoria Crosses
 Z - Photographs (Nothing known)
Personnel Search
Use keywords to search
by first or last name
RAMC profile of:
Sir Arthur Thomas SLOGGETT F.R.C.S.

Place or Date
of Birth:
Stoke Damarell, Devon on 24th November 1857

Service Number:

TF Number:

Rank: Lieutenant-General


Attached To: War Office - D.G.A.M.S.

Enlistment Location:

Also Served: Expeditionary Force - D.G.A.M.S.

Outcome: Survived the war

Date Died: 27th November 1929
Age Died: 72

Where Buried and/or Commemorated:

Awards: See below

Gazette Reference:

Other Information:

Arthur was educated at King’s College, London, and took the diplomas of M.R.C.S. Eng. and L.R.C.P. Ed in 1880. Entering into the army as surgeon on 5th February 1881, he was soon promoted to Surgeon Captain and then Surgeon Major on 5th February 1893. In the Dongola Campaign of 1896, he served as senior medical officer of British Troops, he was mentioned in despatches in the London Gazette on 3rd November 1896, and was specially promoted to surgeon Lieutenant-Colonel on 18th November 1896. During the Nile campaign of 1897 - 1898, he served as Senior Medical Officer of the 1st Brigade, British Division, and took part in the battle of Khartum. He was dangerously wounded, when his horse was shot from under him, and he himself was shot through the chest by a bullet, which apparently should have pierced his heart - he suggested that the reason he was not killed on the spot was due to the fact that his heart must have been in his mouth at the time. For his services in the Nile campaign he was mentioned in dispatched in the London Gazette of 30th September 1898, and was specially promoted to the higher rate of pay of Lieutenant-Colonel on 16th October 1898 - for gallantry in the battle of Khartum. He also received the Egyptian medal with a clasp; a third class of the Medjidieh; and the fourth class of the Osmanieh. In 1898 he was also appointed Knight of Grace of the Order of St. John of Jerusulem. Sir Arthur then served in the South African war from 1899 to 1902; first in charge of the Imperial Yeomanry hospital, afterwards as principal medical officer of a general hospital, and then as commandant of Declfontein district and as Deputy Administrator for Cape Colony. He took part in operations in the Transvaal, the Orange River Colony, and Cape Colony. He was mentioned in despatched in the London Gazette of 18th April 1901, and received the Queen’s medal with three clasps, the King’s medal with two clasps, and the C.M.G. On 9th September 1903, Sir Arthur attained the rank of Colonel, and served as principal medical officer of the London district. He was promoted to Surgeon-General on 13th May 1908, and then from 24th July 1908 – 30th December 1911, was Principal Medical Officer, 6th Division in Bombay, India. During this time - in 1910 he received the C.B. (mil.) On 31st December 1911, he was appointed Principal Medical Officer at headquarters in India and Director of Medical Services in India; he also became an Honorary Surgeon to the King. Then on 1st June 1914, he was appointed Director-General of the Army Medical Services, with the rank of Lieutenant-General, succeeding Sir W. Launcelotte Gubbins in that post. Two months after his appointment as Director-General, the Great War began; a change of policy in the administration of the medical services both at home and overseas, and the difficulties surrounding the desire of voluntary aid organizations and private individuals to be more prominent in the care of the sick and the wounded in the field, meant that he was sent to France on the 28th October 1914, with Lt/Col Burtchaell as his staff officer - taking up the roll of Director-General of Medical Services of the Expeditionary Force and Chief Commissioner of the British Red Cross Society and St John Ambulance Association. The responsibility of dealing with and organising the whole of the medical services at home and abroad became too much for him and caused him to become ill. It was decided, therefore, that Sir Arthur should remained the Director-General on active service abroad and Sir Alfred Keogh rejoined the services from retirement to become Director-General on the duties at home. Sir Arthur remained in France for nearly four years, until 1st June 1918, when his four years’ term of office as Director-General came to an end. He had reached the age limit of retirement in November 1917 but it was agreed the appointment of Director-General of the AMS was a four year appointment irrespective of age. He was then placed on the retired list. For his service during the war he was mentioned in dispatches seven times in the London Gazette dates - 17th February 1915; 10th July 915; 4th January 1917; 29th May 1917; 24th December 1917; 25th May 1918 and 21st October 1918. He also received the K.C.B. in 1915, the Legion of Honour, Grand Officer (2nd class) in 1915, the order of King Leopold of Belgium, Commander (3rd class) in 1916, and the K.C.M.G. and the K.C.V.O. in 1917. In 1917, he was also elected a Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons of England. When he retired he addressed a letter to the Hon. Sir Arthur Stanley, chairman of the Joint War Committee of the British Red Cross and the Order of St. John, in which he gave all the credit for the successful running of the medical services in the war to those who had served under him. Sir Arthur Thomas Sloggett died suddenly while walking with his son near Regent’s Park. He was the son of the late Inspector-General W. H. Sloggett, R.N., and of his wife, Elizabeth, daughter of Thomas Cornish-Crossing J.P., of Stoke Damerel, Devon.

Back Add Additional Info
 ©2007-2021 RAMC: Royal Army Medical Corps WW1 Developed by: Paramount Digital marketing