Hugh took the diploma of L.M.S.S.A. in London on 26th November 1914. He received a commission as lieutenant in the R.A.M.C. (T.F.) - 1st Divisional West Riding Field Ambulance on 23rd November 1914, then entered the war in France on 13th April 1915. Hugh was awarded the Military Cross: “For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty during operations. During several weeks he was in charge of a collecting post and repeatedly under heavy shell fire. He has shown the greatest coolness, and has worked incessantly evacuating the wounded. He has been hit more than once by debris, and has set a fine example to those around him.” And awarded the bar to the Military Cross: “For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty. During an intense bombardment of a town with high explosive and gas shells he leas search parties into different parts of the town, collecting the wounded and placing them in a cellar, where he attended to them. Later, when the bombardment subsided he superintended their removal to the advanced dressing station. On his return to the dressing station he continued to perform his duties, although his eyes were so swollen by gas that he was obliged to keep them open with his fingers. He undoubtedly save several lives by his splendid devotion and total disregard of personal danger. He was eventually evacuated to the casualty clearing station.” Hugh was the son of Mr J H and Mrs M Partridge of Laurel Bank, Rawdon, Leeds.