Geoffrey was educated at King’s College London, qualifying M.R.C.S., L.R.C.P. in 1902. He was subsequently appointed House Surgeon, King’s College Hospital the same year. He joined the Medical Services on 31st January 1903 at the rank of Lieutenant but was seconded to the Egyptian Army on 1st May 1903 to 1911 - gaining the award of Imperial Ottoman Order of the Medjidie, 4th Class. During this time he gained promotion to Captain on 31st July 1906. In 1913 he became a Specialist in Ophthalmology. Geoffrey entered the war in France on 14th August 1914 with No 2 Stationary Hospital. He was then transferred to serve with the 6th Cavalry Field Ambulance, and on 31st October 1914, gained promotion to the rank of Major. On 25th August 1915, he took over command of 6th Cavalry Field Ambulance from Lt/Col W H S Nickerson R.A.M.C. He was awarded the Distinguished Service Order:- “For conspicuous ability and good work in arranging for the care and evacuation of the wounded at Loos on 26th and 27th September 1915. A large number of wounded infantry were tended and evacuated by the two cavalry field ambulances in addition to wounded cavalrymen. During the greater part of the time Loos was under heavy bombardment.” He remained in command of the unit until 10th December 1915, when he was appointed D.A.D.M.S. 33rd Division, and handed control over to Major G H L Hammerton R.A.M.C. T. From 1916 to 1918 Geoffrey served as Commanding Officer to 101st Field Ambulance. From 1918 to 1919 he served with the 17th Casualty Clearing Station. During this time he acted under the rank of Lieutenant Colonel from 4th January 1917 to 17th Oct 1919, and also held the rank A.Lt/Col from 4th April 1921 to 24th July 1922. On 1st January 1918 he gained the rank of Bt Lieutenant Colonel. From 1920 - 1923, he served in India. He gained the full rank of Lieutenant Colonel on 31st January 1926. On 4th October 1926 he retired on pay, then on 2nd September 1935 ceased to be on the Roll of Officers. On the outbreak of World War Two however, Geoffrey rejoined. He served from 29th December 1939 to 30th September 1942, then retired again with pay. He was the son of Colonel Emilius Hughes, C.B., C.M.G; and the husband of Rosamond, daughter of Rev. Henry Goodwin - married in 1911.