John graduated M.B., Ch.B (Glas) in 1903, then served as house-physician and house-surgeon to the Royal Victoria Infirmary, Glasgow. He also served as locumtenent in Shetland. He then went to London for a course of study in tropical disease, and subsequently accepted an appointment as medical officer at Lagos, Southern Nigeria. He returned to the UK five years later, and commenced practice at Birkenhead. The address on his Medal Index Card states: 20 North Road, Birkenhead. In June 1917, he received a commission in the R.A.M.C. as temporary lieutenant, and because of his knowledge of tropical diseases was sent to Allahabad, arriving in India on the 14th. John died of illness and was buried in Auahabad New Cantonment Cemetery. He was the son of John and Catherine Cross of Hamilton; and the husband of Mary C France (formerly Cross) of 70 Osmaston Road, Prenton, Merseyside.