RAMC - Royal Army Medical Corps
  Home » Y - WW1 Medical Victoria Crosses »
Search RAMC Personnel Profiles The RAMC in WarThe RAMC Chain of Evacuation Contact Us
RAMC Units
 Army Medical Services 
 Home Service 
 Ambulance Trains 
 Casualty Clearing Stations 
 Field Ambulances 
 Non RAMC personnel attached to British Medical Units 
 RAMC Personnel attached to Colonial/Associated Medical Units
 Regimental Medical Establishments 
 Sanitary Sections 
 Ships - Hospital/Transport 
 Unit not yet known 
 X - Other medical units 
 Y - WW1 Medical Victoria Crosses
 Z - Photographs (Nothing known)
Personnel Search
Use keywords to search
by first or last name
RAMC profile of:
George Allan MALING M.B., B.Ch.

Place or Date
of Birth:
Sunderland on 6th October 1888

Service Number:

TF Number:

Rank: Capt


Attached To: 12th Bn. Rifle Brigade (Prince Consort's Own)

Enlistment Location:

Also Served: See below

Outcome: Survived the war

Date Died: 9th July 1929
Age Died: 40

Where Buried and/or Commemorated: Chislehurst Cemetery

Awards: VC; MiD

Gazette Reference: 18/11/1915

Other Information:

George was educated at Uppingham School and at Exeter College, Oxford, gaining honours in natural sciences. He continued his studies at St Thomas's Hospital qualifying M.B., B.Ch. in 1914 and M.R.C.S., L.R.C.P. in 1915. He gained a temporary commission within the R.A.M.C. at the rank of Lieutenant on 18th January 1915, and after five months joined the 12th Battalion, Rifle Brigade as their Medical Officer. George was awarded the Victoria Cross at the Battle of Loos "For most conspicuous bravery and devotion to duty during the heavy fighting near Fauquissart on 25th September 1915. Lieutenant Maling worked incessantly with untiring energy from 6.25am on the 25th till 8am on 26th collecting and treating in the open, under heavy shell fire, more than 300 men. At about 11am on the 25th he was flung down and temporarily stunned by the bursting of a large high explosive shell which wounded his only assistant and killed several of his patients. A second shell soon after covered him and his assistants with debris, but his high courage and zeal never failed him, and he continued his gallant work single-handed." He returned to the UK and served in the Military Hospital in Grantham, and then joined the 34th Field Ambulance, serving in France for another two years. In 1917 he married Daisy Mabel, the daughter of Stephen Wollmer of Winnipeg; they had a son. After the war George was appointed resident Medical Officer at the Victoria Hospital for Children at Chelsea. He then went into partnership in Lee, South London where he practiced until he died. He was the son of Dr Edwin Alan Maling M.R.C.S., J.P., and of Maria Jane Maling (nee Hartley). [Photograph courtesy of Simon Gildea]

Back Add Additional Info
 ©2007-2024 RAMC: Royal Army Medical Corps WW1 Developed by: Paramount Digital marketing