RAMC - Royal Army Medical Corps
  Home » Regimental Medical Establishments » with Royal Artillery » Royal Field Artillery »
Search RAMC Personnel Profiles The RAMC in WarThe RAMC Chain of Evacuation Contact Us
RAMC Units
 Army Medical Services 
 Home Service 
 Ambulance Trains 
 Casualty Clearing Stations 
 Field Ambulances 
 Non RAMC personnel attached to British Medical Units 
 RAMC Personnel attached to Colonial/Associated Medical Units
 Regimental Medical Establishments 
 with Army Service Corps 
 with Cavalry Regiments 
 with Infantry - Guards Regiments 
 with Infantry - Line Regiments 
 with Infantry - Territorial Force Regiments 
  noktawith RFC/RNAS/RAF
 with Royal Artillery 
  noktaDivisional Ammunition Column
  noktaRoyal Field Artillery
  noktaRoyal Garrison Artillery
  noktaRoyal Horse Artillery
  noktawith Royal Engineers
 with Support Units 
  noktawith Yeomanry Regiments
 Sanitary Sections 
 Ships - Hospital/Transport 
 Unit not yet known 
 X - Other medical units 
 Y - WW1 Medical Victoria Crosses
 Z - Photographs (Nothing known)
Personnel Search
Use keywords to search
by first or last name
RAMC profile of:
Oliver Cuff LINK M.B.

Place or Date
of Birth:
22nd August 1892 in Enfield, Middlesex

Service Number:

TF Number:

Rank: Brigadier


Attached To: 58th Bde, R.F.A.

Enlistment Location:

Also Served: Various - see below

Outcome: Continued to serve after the war

Date Died: 20th September 1970
Age Died: 78

Where Buried and/or Commemorated:

Awards: MiD

Gazette Reference: 21/12/1917

Other Information:

Oliver was educated at the High School, Ilford, at The College, Beccles, and at the Middlesex Hospital, where he graduated as a Bachelor of Medicine (MB) in 1914. During his studies he also served in the University of London Officers’ Training Corps.  When war was declared he joined 11th (Northern) Division, and by 12th September 1914 was serving as the Medical Officer in charge of the 58th Brigade, Royal Field Artillery, although he had not formally been granted a commissioned in the R.A.M.C. until 16th September 1914, when he took up a temporary commission at the rank of Lieutenant.  On 1st July 1915 he sailed from Devonport to Alexandria with the brigade on the SS “Knight Templar”, arriving on 14th July 1915.  He served with the unit at Suvla Bay. On 16th September 1915, he gained promotion to the rank of temporary Captain. Between April and June 1916, after the evacuation of Gallipoli, he married Grace M Fowler in Romford. On 20th June 1917, he was admitted into No 11 Casualty Clearing Station, then evacuated from there the following day. He returned to the Brigade on 24th August 1917 but his contract expired shortly after, on 14th September 1917, when he left for England to report to the War Office. A month later he was posted to East Africa with the apparent intention of helping combat the high mortality rate of the native African porters and was Mentioned in Despatches for his work there.  He remained in East Africa until 1919. During this time, from 14th August 1918 to 15th February 1919 he was appointed the rank of acting Major. On 1st November 1919 (backdated to 16th March 1918), he was granted a permanent regular commission within the R.A.M.C. at the rank of Captain. He was posted to serve in India from 1920 to 1925. On 16th September 1926 he gained promotion to the rank of Major. After qualifying as a specialist in gynaecology in 1927, he became the Officer Commanding & Gynae Specialist at the Military Families Hospital at Hilsea from 1927 - 1928. He then returned to India from 1929 - 1934, serving in the Connaught Military Hospital Poona from 1929 to 1933. From 1934 to 1937 he was stationed as Officer Commanding & Gynae Specialist at the Military Families Hospital, Colchester. He then went to Malaya from 1937 to 1940, serving at the Military Hospital, Tanglin in 1937, then as Commanding Officer at the Military Families Hospital, Singapore from 1937 to 1939, until he returned to the Military Hospital, Tanglin from 1939 to 1940. During this time, on 8th April 1938 he gained promotion to Lieutenant Colonel on 8th April 1938. On 18th December 1940 he was appointed acting Colonel. Also in 1940 he became the Commanding Officer of No 22 Casualty Clearing Station, then transferred to become the Commanding Officer of No 38 General Hospital from 1940 to 1944. During this time, from 1941 to 1942 he served in Paiforce, then returned to India from 1942 to 1945, becoming the Assistant Director of Medical Services at Headquarters at the 107 Line of Communication area from 1944 to 1945. On 15th April 1944, (backdated to 8th April 1941), he gained promotion to the rank of Colonel. From 1945 to 1946 he served as Assistant Director of Medical Services at HQ South Wales district, and HQ Mid West District from 1946 to 1947. On 17th August 1947 he was appointed acting Brigadier, then gained promotion to Brigadier on 1st November 1947. Also in 1947 to 1948 he served as Deputy Director of Medical Services at HQ Palestine, then as Deputy Director of Medical Services at HQ BTE 1948 to 1950, and as Deputy Director of Medical Services HQ Scottish Command from 1950 - 1951. During this time, on 24th June 1949, he became a member of the Order of St John of Jerusalem. On 22nd August 1951 he retired with pay, then ceased to be on the Roll of Officers on 22nd August 1952. When he died he was living at West Gables, Hill Brow, Liss, Hants. He was the son of Gottlieb David Link and Rosa Emily Link (née Cuff). (Information researched and kindly provided by David, whose website to the 58th Bde, R.F.A. can be found at this website address https://58fab.com/ )

Back Add Additional Info
 ©2007-2020 RAMC: Royal Army Medical Corps WW1 Developed by: Paramount Digital marketing