Edwin was educated at Dover College; at Jesus College, Cambridge (1908-1911); and at St. Bartholomew's Hospital, London, entering in 1913. On 12th January 1915, whilst a House Surgeon at St. Bartholomew's Hospital, he volunteered for service in the Special Reserve of the R.A.M.C. He first served overseas with 17 General Hospital, Alexandria, Egypt, from 17th March 1915. On 6th September 1917 he returned home due to illness, but was returned to the war on the Western Front on 12th December 1917. Wounded by a gas shell, he was evacuated from Calais on 21st May 1918, then admitted into the Prince of Wales’ Hospital, London, for treatment. On 7th September 1918, after recovery, he returned to France. Whilst on the Western Front, he served with 1/3rd North Midland Field Ambulance. He was awarded the Military Cross:- “ He was in charge of the stretcher bearers during the attack on the Saint Quentin Canal on the 29th September 1918 and displayed great gallantry and initiative. He went forward and sought a position for an advanced dressing station in Bellenglise when it was being heavily shelled by the enemy, and finally organised collecting and relay posts on a route further north. His disposition was most skilful and the rapid evacuation of the wounded was mainly due the exertions of this officer”. He was demobilised on 27th June 1919; at this time his address was Leyburne House, Dover.
Edwin was employed for a time as Senior Resident Medical Officer, Bristol General Hospital and from 1924 as surgeon, Staffordshire General Infirmary. He married in 1929 and moved to Margate, where he was appointed as surgeon at Margate and District General Hospital. In Margate he lived with his wife, Norah, at 5, Cliftonville Avenue. In 1938 they adopted two refugee children from Germany.
His work treating casualties of the Dunkirk evacuation was noted; nursing staff at Margate and District General Hospital remembering for years later how he carried out surgical work for many days and nights during the Dunkirk evacuation. He was elected President of Margate Ambulance Corps in 1942 and was Medical Officer of Margate Home Guard and of the Margate Sea Cadets. He was President of Margate and District General Hospital from 1945-1948, retiring due to arthritis and chronic bronchiectasis; his lung condition caused by effects of gas poisoning during the First World War. For many years a keen member of Rotary, he was president of the Margate branch in 1939. His hobbies were gardening and stamp collecting, and during retirement he made books in Braille. In 1955-1956 he completed three talks in the B.B.C.'s ‘The Silver Lining’ radio series - entitled ‘The Temptations of a Long Illness,’ ‘Compensations’ and ‘Facing up to Pain ‘ which were to support sufferers of ill health. He died in Bournemouth. He was the son of Edwin and Emmeline Mary Bradley of Leyburne House, Dover. His brother Geoffrey Montagu Bradley, also served in WW1, being killed in action on 22nd December 1914, whilst serving as a Lieutenant with the Rifle Brigade. (Photograph courtesy of East Kent Hospital University NHS Foundation Trust)